Monday, August 27, 2012

MEET THE VOLUNTEERS

Cape Coast receives hundreds of volunteers a year, mainly from the organisations Projects Abroad and Global Volunteer Projects. Here are some of the volunteers that have been lending a helping hand to Cape Coast in August 2012.

April Shacklock, Age 20
9th August – 6thth September
Nationality: British
Placement: Journalism at Central Press
What has been the best thing about your placement? Every day is so different, one day I was doing research about wills in the small villages of Cape Coast, the next I was following the President on his tour of the central region.
Where have you travelled to In Ghana so far? Kakum National Park, Hans Cottage, Coconut Grove Beach Resort, Green Turtle Lodge, Volta region.
What has been your favourite trip? My trip to the Volta region was amazing. I fell in love with the monkeys at Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary.  
What has been your most memorable moment in Ghana? Experiencing the crowd’s reaction during President Mahama’s speeches during his tour.


Bri Creelman, Age 19
1st August – 1st September
Nationality: Canadian 
Placement: Medical placement at Central Regional Hospital
What has been the best thing about your placement? All the medical information that I am learning! I keep a notebook on me at the hospital to record terms I do not understand or wish to know more about and research them when I get home. Also the hands on experience has been amazing. Most of what I get to see and do would not be possible at home, for example getting to watch a caesarean section.
What has been the hardest thing about your placement? Seeing so many preventable cases escalate into medical emergencies or even death due to lack of supplies and education among patients.
Where have you travelled to In Ghana so far? Mole National Park, Elmina Castle, Kakum National Park, Wli Falls.
What is your favourite thing about Cape Coast? The beautiful ocean.
What is your favourite Ghanaian food? Plantain, egg stew and beans stew. I love it all actually!



Emma Sedgwick, age 20
1st July – 29th August
Nationality: British
Placement: New Life Orphanage
What has been the best thing about your placement? The best thing about my placement is by far the children. The overall attitude of them is an eagerness to learn and they are so open and friendly!
What has been the hardest thing about your placement? The hardest thing about my placement has probably been how short it is. When you are volunteering it is frustrating that you feel there may be a lack of continuity and you can’t always finish what you started.
Where have you travelled to in Ghana? I have travelled to Kumasi, Green Turtle Lodge, Volta Region and Kakum National Park.
What has been your worst trip? Going to Kumasi as it took hours longer to get there than we expected and then I was threatened and followed through the market.
What is your favourite Ghanaian food? Redred.
What have you found most difficult about living in Ghana? Being treated differently because I’m white.
 
Chandni Patel, Age 21
July 11th – August 26th
Nationality: Canadian
Placement: Medical at Central Regional Hospital / New Life Orphanage
What has been the best thing about your placements? At the hospital it was definitely getting to look after the babies in the Intensive Care Unit. The best thing at the orphanage is when all the children learn your name and then every time they see you coming they shout it.
What has been the hardest thing about your placement? The hardest thing that has happened at the hospital was also when I was in the Intensive Care Unit and two babies who had been delivered with vacuum assistance kept having seizures.
Where have you travelled to in Ghana? Mole National Park, Volta Region, Kakum National Park, Nzulezo Stilt Village.
What was the best trip you have been on in Ghana? My trip to the Volta was definitely my favourite. It was so beautiful there, we were pleased we made the effort to climb to the top of Wli falls. It felt amazing standing under the waterfall.
Where is the best place to have dinner in Cape Coast? It’s a tie between Oasis and Sizzler, I love them both.
What has been the most memorable experience for you in Ghana? Getting to do examinations on the patients in the Breast & Thyroid clinic, experience like that is so valuable.
 
Debbie Shacklock, Age 49
9th August – 6thth September
Nationality: British
Placement: New Life Orphanage
What has been the best thing about your placement? Taking the children swimming to Hans Cottage, they were so happy and grateful to be taken out.
Where have you travelled to In Ghana so far? Kakum National Park, Hans Cottage, Coconut Grove Beach Resort in Elmina and Green Turtle Lodge.
What is your favourite thing about Ghana? The friendly people, they have made me feel very welcome in Ghana.
What is your least favourite thing about Ghana? Tro-tros!
What is your favourite Ghanaian food? Egg stew and fried plantain. I’m definitely going to start cooking plantain when I get home!
Anything else to say about your experience in Ghana? It has been a fantastic life experience , especially for someone of my age. I’m glad I took the time away from my job in England to come here and experience a different culture and help the children.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment